COMPOSITE SHIELD is a high performance, semi-permanent release coating specifically formulated for use with advanced molding materials in industries requiring assured contamination free fail-safe processing. It also offers effective multiple release efficiency with a wide range of molding compounds. For NON-VOC release agents, request technical data on Watershield, Watershield V, SilverShield 320 and RotoShield.
COMPOSITE SHIELD BENEFITS
- True semi-permanent multiple release capability
- No build-up on mold
- Ease of Application
- Thermal Stability (> 900°F/480°C)
- Fast Cure
- No Transfer
- Controlled Release (reduces possibility of Pre-Release)
- Easy Recoat/Touch-Up
Product is moisture-sensitive. Container must be kept tightly closed when not in use.
COMPOSITE SHIELD USES
Specified for releasing polyester, fiberglass, epoxy, graphite composites, polyimides, polybismaleimides, polyethylenes, polycarbonates, and other materials.
Before applying COMPOSITE SHIELD, all previous waxes or oils should be removed using SURFACE CLEANER, and a suitable mold sealer should be applied. If surfaces have been coated previously with a semi-permanent release agent, it may be possible to simply solvent wipe, dry, and apply COMPOSITE SHIELD directly on top of existing surface. A test patch should be done to confirm this possibility.
SURFACE CLEANER is a combination of solvents specially blended to aid in the preparation of new and used molds/tools prior to treatment with ZYVAX MOLD SEALERS AND RELEASE AGENTS. It readily removes waxes and other surface contaminants without harming or dulling the working surfaces of the mold. SURFACE CLEANER will also clean brushes and spray equipment used to apply various release products and elastomeric materials. For a NON-VOC cleaner, use our WATERCLEAN.
SEALER GP is recommended whenever a mold/tool is completely cleaned or the mold surface has been scratched locally after demolding a component. SEALER GP forms a thin protective shield that extends the life of the mold surface and reduces the amount of release agent required. Apply SEALER GP in accordance with Zyvax Technical Data Sheet.
HOW TO USE
1. Apply COMPOSITE SHIELD to a small area of the mold 1-2 sq. (.2 sq. m.) using a paper towel, clean lint free cloth, or hand sprayer.
2. While still wet, gently wipe dry using a separate clean paper towel or lint free cloth.
3. Make sure entire mold surface is coated in this manner, slightly over-lapping the last coated area if you are applying in sections. Be certain that all contours are adequately coated.
4. Wait for a minimum of 30 minutes.
5. Apply a second coat of COMPOSITE SHIELD in the same way, and wait for a minimum of 30 minutes.
6. After the final coat, wait at least 60 minutes before using mold. If application has been made to a warm surface, a shorter waiting period is needed. The use of heat (hot air, heat gun, oven) can enhance performance. Cure times can halved at ~250°F/120°C.
7. For touch up apply a single coat of COMPOSITE SHIELD as above and continue processing.
STORAGE & SHELF LIFE
When stored in a cool, dry area (Temp. < 90°F/32°C) in the original unopened container, the product will remain active for more than one year. Do not store at elevated temperatures. Product is moisture-sensitive, and will react with atmospheric moisture if exposed. Keep tightly closed when not in use. SAFETY DATA Material safety data sheets are available for all ZYVAX products and should be consulted prior to use of product. SHIPPING DATA
- DOT SHIPPING NAME: Resin Solution
- DOT HAZARD CLASSIFICATION: Flammable Liquid
- DOT I.D. NUMBER: UN 1866
COMPOSITE SHIELD is available in the following sizes
- 1-U.S. gallon can
- 5-U.S. gallon pail
- 55-U.S. gallon pail